We Keep Going… We Keep Growing.
In Year 4, our class teacher is Mrs Marshall and our teaching assistant is Mrs Large. We try our best in everything we do and make sure we have fun along the way. We understand it’s OK to make mistakes, as they help us to learn. We challenge ourselves, and feel proud of the work we produce.
We believe in every single one of the children in Year 4 and we will do our absolute best to help them to achieve everything we know they are capable of.
If you have any queries regarding how your child is learning at home, don’t hesitate to email the school, or chat to me at the end of the day and I will help the best I can. Mrs Marshall.
This half-term we have some key dates coming up…
- Throughout May – Multiplication Check Test practices
- Monday 23rd May – Thursday 26th May – Jubilee Celebrations in school
- Monday 23rd May – Pie and Peas event – 2-4pm
- Thursday 26th May – Street Party / Dance Event – 2-4pm
- Friday 27th May – INSET day (school closed to pupils
- Monday 6th June – Friday 24th June – Multiplication Check Test period
Our topic theme for this half term is “Dream BIG!”
Stay tuned and we will showcase some of our fabulous work we are about to begin.
Homework & PE
Homework has been reviewed!! Please see below the expectations for your child’s homework:
- Your child will read at least 3 times a week to an adult at home. Reading to or with your child is invaluable and will help them so much with their progress in reading. Reading books aloud to children stimulates their imagination and expands their understanding of the world. It helps them develop language and listening skills and prepares them to understand the written word. Even after children learn to read by themselves, it’s still important for you to read aloud together.
- Your child will access TTRS (Times Tables Rock Stars) regularly at home. I cannot stress how important knowing your times table facts is! If your child is fluent in this recall, they will be able to access a range of mathematical concepts much easier in school. There is now a Multiplication Check in Year 4, as the expectation is that all children know their multiplication facts to 12×12. Please support us in this and encourage your child to take some time over the weekend accessing this fantastic, fun resource!
- Spellings will be sent home fortnightly. Developing your child’s spelling skills will improve confidence in writing.
- Every half term, there will be a Topic Project Grid. This will be something that you can work on with your child, or allow them to do themselves if they wish to. Not all tasks will be required to be complete, meaning that your child can select a few which appeal to them. For each project I will provide more details when projects are sent home.
- Our PE days are Monday and Wednesday. Please ensure your child comes to school in their PE kit. This must be a white t-shirt and red shorts. If your child will be having PE lessons outside, they may wear tracksuit bottoms however indoors, they are required to wear shorts. Earrings MUST be removed for safety purposes.
Your child will be given homework weekly. However, there are other activities you could be doing with your children at home to ensure they make as much progress as possible this academic year, especially given the unpredictable years we have all recently experienced!
- Reading to your child / with your child every day is proven to develop their cognitive skills. Your child will have opportunities to read to an adult in school at least twice a week, and their progress will be even better if you continue to do this at home. There is nothing a child loves more than snuggling up with a book – especially as the autumn nights draw closer!
- Social Skills are one area that children have not been able to develop as well over the pandemic as they have missed out on so many opportunities to socialise with family and friends. Play games with your children, sing rhymes with them, go for walks, encourage them to play out – whatever the weather!
- Multiplication Facts are essential to your child making good, rapid progress in Maths. If you child is confident in their multiplication facts, they will access wide range of mathematical concepts much more easily. Your child has a login for Times Tables Rock Stars (TTRS). Please encourage them to access this at home!
Here are some links to some key learning websites which your child may access at home :
- Times Table Rock Stars
Children know their login details and love accessing this – especially when we are battling other year groups! The multiplication facts your child will practice are personalised to them.
- Accelerated Reader
Above is the link to AR. This allows children to quiz on books they have read at home.
Children know their login details. This is a website to help children develop their reading skills. It provides a range of books which children can read online and many allow children to quiz.
Emile is a brilliant educational website which has online games to help your child secure their understanding in Grammar, Spelling and Maths
- BBC Bitesize
There are a range of activities for all subjects on this website
A very useful website to use for History, Georgraphy and Science research
If you require any login details for any websites, please contact me and I can pass these onto you!
If for any reason your child(ren) need to isolate, Remote Learning will be offered. This is an expectation if you child(ren) is well enough to engage in. Should your family find yourselves in this situation, your child(ren)’s class teacher will be in touch.