‘Don’t tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!‘ – Paul Brant
Our teacher is Miss Newhouse and our amazing teaching assistant is Mrs Pidgeon. This year we also have the lovely Mr Nelson in our class, who is training to become a teacher. Miss Newhouse, Mrs Pidgeon and Mr Nelson always want us to be the best we can be and reach our full potential in everything that we do! We know that it is OK to make mistakes and that this is part of our learning journey.
How we learn in Year 2
We started off the year with a play-based classroom and several areas for the children to learn through play. Now we are back working at tables but we still have access to challenge areas. We do a lot of hands-on activities both indoors and outdoors.
This half-term our umbrella topic is Dream Big! What is your biggest dream? I guess we will find out..
Phonics is essential to our learning, it helps us read and write, and that’s why we have an hour of Phonics every day! Below is a video to help us pronounce the sounds at home.
How your child learns at home is very important to us; you can email us with any pictures or videos. You can also use Tapestry. Your child has their own book that they updated themselves with learning or questions they do themselves. We could print off any photos or comments to go into their COOL book.
- Phonics games – https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/
- Timetable Rockstars – https://play.ttrockstars.com/
- Numbots – https://numbots.com/
- Emile – https://www.emile-education.com/
- Classroom Secrets Kids has reading, writing and maths activities – https://kids.classroomsecrets.co.uk/
- Topmarks has lots of games and activities for a wide range of subjects that can be played on a tablet or laptop – https://www.topmarks.co.uk/
- Homework is given out at the beginning of the half-term and is now a choice of activities on a grid for you to complete three by the end of the half-term.
- Make sure you read at home every night for at least 10 minutes and get it signed at least three times a week.
- At the end of each half-term, the children who have completed every piece of homework and read three times every week have a reward party!
- Each child needs to come into school in their PE kit every Wednesday.