“If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” – Roald Dahl
In Year 5 our teacher is Mrs Marshall and our amazing teaching assistant is Miss Clemmons. They want every child in our class to achieve their full potential and make good progress! In class 5 we love books and love to read for pleasure. We really enjoy our topic work and it inspires us to produce some fabulous pieces of writing and creative art work.
How your child is learning at home is very important to me. If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to email the School, and I can help you as best I can!
Mrs Marshall 🙂
This half-term we have some key dates coming up..
- Library Visit to meet Rappaman Dovan – Thursday 4th October
- Parent Consultations – Wednesday 24th October (Letter to come!)
In our Literacy lessons we have been working on suspense writing. We have been looking at examples of suspense writing and love that the writer's techniques make us want to read on! We can't wait to show off our polished work when we have completed it!
In Year 5 we also have a passion for reading and enjoy reading for pleasure. Each month we will be looking at a different author; learning about their life and the books that they have written. This month our author of the month is David Walliams. We absolutely love his books because they make us giggle lots!
As our first Topic, we went down to the river beside our school, as Miss Snowdon had made a shocking discovery! There were lots of items left beside the river, as if someone had been sleeping there. In Year 5, we think it could have been a homeless person who has been living by the river. We have been learning about how many homeless people there are in England and what we can do to help people less fortunate than ourselves!
So far in Maths this year we have been looking at place value, using lots of fun resources to help us to deepen our understanding of these mathematical concepts. We have even learnt how to write Roman numerals up to 1000 already!!
- Homework is given out on a Friday and is due in on Wednesday. This is a mixture of all our subjects - not just Maths and English
- Spelling tests are on a Wednesday
- Reading at home should be done at least 3 times per week. The staff in Y5 check children's reading records daily
- For each Topic there will be a home project to be completed - WATCH THIS SPACE! :)