“Play is the highest form of research”
Miss Newhouse is the Reception teacher, she wants the children to have fun with their learning, try their best and become independent learners.
Reception is a very important and exciting time where the children learn skills to enable them to become confident and independent learners. The children have lots of opportunities to learn and explore through meaningful play within the provision. The children will learn through a mixture of adult led and child initiated learning. Our aim is to create an inquisitive and creative learning environment to engage and encourage creative thinking.
We observe what the children can do, how well the children are learning and use this to plan their next steps. We document this learning in our floor books, wall displays and in the children’s Learning Journeys. We try our best to cater to the children’s interest to inspire and engage the children. We do not just learn indoors, we take our learning outdoors as often as possible, in all weathers! We do various activities every day and send parents a message via Marvellousme to inform you of what your child is learning.
How your child is learning at home is very important to us. You can email the School to share experiences or come into School and fill in a Wow moment for your child’s Learning Journey. By letting us know your child’s achievements and enjoyments outside of school we can build upon these experiences in School.
Here are some of the photos captured showing all the different types of learning that happens in Reception.
Click here to see the full Photo Gallery for Reception.
|16th July 2019||All day||Saltburn Beach Trip – to end our final topic we will be going to the Beach to put our new knowledge to use!|
|19th July 2019||TBC||Teddy Bears Picnic– to end our school year we are going to have a Teddy Bears Picnic. Your child can bring in sweets and a teddy bear.|
We have now learned all the alphabet! We are now focusing on learning tricky words and writing sentences on the lines.
Our last topic question is, ‘Which was the best dinosaur?‘ The children absolutely loved this topic! They learned so much from it, I wonder what our next topic will be?
The next few weeks we are focusing on solving sums and beginning to write numbers in boxes in preparation for Year 1!
- Homework is given out on the first day of term, it is up to you and your child to complete one piece of homework each week. You can download the homework grid for this half-term here.
- Each child must bring their book bag.
- Please label everything!
- We use our outdoor provision daily so wellies are essential, please bring in a pair to leave in school.
- Each child needs a PE kit for Monday mornings. They can come into School in their PE kit if this is easier, or we can help the children change into their PE kit. We also do PE on Thursday’s, however, on Thursday’s your child must come into School in their uniform and their PE kit in their bag.
- Make sure you read three times a week with your child. We encourage you to reread books with your child, this will help your child to remember repeated phrases and the more they see words the quicker they will become at reading them.