Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts.
In Year 6 our teacher is Miss Henry and our fantastic teaching assistant is Miss Waters. In Class 6, we know that it is OK to make mistakes, as this is how we learn and find out new things. Miss Henry and Miss Waters believe in each and every one of us and are always encouraging us to be the best that we can be!
This academic year has been a funny one, full of uncertainty for many. What we are certain of in Y6, is that we, as your teachers, will do everything we possibly can to help and support you through this challenging time. We promise to make your online learning exciting, engaging and purposeful. Your well-being is what is most important to us, which is why we now have ‘Well-being Wednesdays’ – a day to take care of our own well-being and spend some time away from the screen, completing activities which encourage you to spend time with the people you love the most.
I would like to share a quote with you, as it is very powerful:
Please remember to never be ashamed to ask for help. Asking for help is a great strength. Anything you need, we are here for you. Never forget that!
We cannot wait to have you back in the classroom with us (on MONDAY 8TH MARCH!!) to share many more fantastic experiences. We are looking forward to more exciting Science experiments, lots of outdoor learning opportunities to inspire our writing and preparing for our move to secondary school!
How your child is learning at home is very important to me. If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to email the School, and I can help you as best I can!
Miss Henry 🙂
This half-term we have some key dates coming up…
- Monday 8th March: Return to School – all pupils (FINALLY :D)
- Friday 19th March: Red Nose Day
- Monday 22nd March – Friday 26th March: Computer Science Week
- Thursday 25th March: Virtual Event – National Computing Museum
- Friday 26th March: Easter Holidays (last day of term)
Homework & PE
- Homework is given out on a Thursday and is due in on Tuesday. This means that if you need any help with your homework, you can check with me on Friday or Monday. Homework given is a mixture of all our subjects - not just Maths and English
- Reading at home should be done at least 3 times per week. Reading Records will be checked on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at school. If you don't have it, you will read at break time!
- For each Topic we cover, there will be a home project to be completed.
- Our PE days are Wednesday and Friday. Please ensure your child comes to school in their PE kit. This must be a white t-shirt and red shorts. If your child will be having PE lessons outside, they may wear tracksuit bottoms however indoors, they are required to wear shorts.
Current Topic: What is one of the most dangerous ways that humans are killing our planet?
We have been learning all about the Amazon Rainforest and the many benefits it brings to our planet.
Our topic has taught us lots about South America, using a map and understanding the terminology used when reading maps and the impact deforestation has on our planet.
Recently, we went out into our woodland and lived as though we were members of an Amazon tribe. We learnt lots about how people living in a tribe get their food, build a community, use plants for medicines, create clothing, create weapons for protection as well as food sources!
Due to the current situation with COVID-19, we find ourselves in another National Lockdown. Remote learning will be provided for your child via Google Classroom. The children have all been shown how to navigate this resource. Children also have 'Home Learning' books, which they have at home to complete work tasks in. Some activities for children will be completed online, where the children will then 'Turn In' or 'Hand In'. Once they have done this, I will then mark it and return the work back to them with feedback and guidance.
Here are some links to some key learning websites which your children should access during remote learning periods:
- Times Table Rock Stars
Children know their login details and love accessing this - especially when we are battling other year groups! The multiplication facts your child will practice are personalised to them.
- Accelerated Reader
Above is the link to AR. This allows children to quiz on books they have read at home.
Children know their login details. This is a website to help children develop their reading skills. It provides a range of books which children can read online and many allow children to quiz.
Emile is a brilliant educational website which has online games to help your child secure their understanding in Grammar, Spelling and Maths
- BBC Bitesize
There are a range of activities for all subjects on this website
A very useful website to use for History, Georgraphy and Science research
If you require any login details for any websites, please contact me and I can pass these onto you!
Quote of the Week
"When you feel out of your depth, breathe and keep moving,' said the Horse." - Charlie Mackesy.