If you believe in yourself, you will achieve incredible things!
In Year 6 our teacher is Miss Henry and our fantastic teaching assistant is Mr Beadle. In our class, we know that it is OK to make mistakes, as this is how we learn and find out new things. Miss Henry and Mr Beadle believe in each and every one of us, and are always encouraging us to be the best that we can be!
As well as working extremely hard in all that we do, we have lots of fun in our lessons! This year we are really excited to have even more fantastic experiences. Miss Henry was our teacher last year, and we had so much fun learning! We are looking forward to more exciting Science experiments, lots of outdoor learning opportunities to inspire our writing and attending sports competitions!
How your child is learning at home is very important to me. If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to email the School, and I can help you as best I can!
Miss Henry 🙂
This half-term we have some key dates coming up…
- Friday 7th June, Friday 14th June, Friday 21st June – Groups to visit EV
- Tuesday 18th June – Y6 Class Photo
- Wednesday 19th June – Teesvalley Tournament
- W.C. Monday 24th June – Y6 Transition week at EV
- W.C. Monday 1st July – DIVERSITY week
- Thursday 11th July – Saltburn Trip
- Tuesday 16th July – Transition Activities
- Thursday 18th July – Y6 Leavers Assembly
In our Literacy lessons we have been working on writing different text types. Now that our SAT's are done and dusted, we are focusing on ensuring that our writing is at the Y6 standard.
As well as being fantastic writers, we are also enthusiastic readers in Year 6. As well as reading at home, we have a class novel each half term, which Miss Henry reads to us as a whole class. Our class novel at the moment is 'The Boy in the Dress'. We try to spend some time each day reading this book!
We have just begun our new topic - HOLA MEXICO. To hook us into our new topic, we had a Mexican afternoon, which some parents and carers attended. Miss Henry made some Mexican food, including: cheese and salsa nachos, fajitas and enchiladas. We also tried a variety of dips, including: guacamole, sour cream, tangy cheese and salsa. Mr Beadle made a delicious drink - sangria - which was made from mixing different juice flavours together. While enjoying this food tasting activity, we also competed in our House Teams in a quiz all about the country, Mexico! We found some of the questions difficult to answer, because we haven't yet learnt much about this country. After discussing what we think we already know and writing down what we would like to find out, we came up with a focus question for our topic: How would a move from the UK to Mexico change your life? Watch this space!
We absolutely LOVE our Maths lessons in Year 6. We have lots of opportunities to use concrete resources to help us to deepen our understanding of mathematical concepts, and like to represent things in different ways to show our understanding.
This week we are focusing on the four operations. We are very good at our fluency skills, and now we are developing our problem solving and reasoning skills so that we can be mathematical experts in this area of maths!
- Homework is given out on a Thursday and is due in on Monday. This is a mixture of all our subjects - not just Maths and English
- Reading at home should be done at least 3 times per week. Reading Records will be checked on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at school. If you don't have it, you will read at break time!
- For each Topic there will be a home project to be completed - WATCH THIS SPACE! :)