“Never stop learning; for when we stop learning, we stop growing.” – Jack Lewman
Our teacher is Miss Scorer and our teaching assistants are Miss Wade and Mr Robson. We want every child in our class to create lots of memories, build positive relationships, have fun and to achieve their full potential in everything that they do! In class 3 we love books and love to read for pleasure. We really enjoy our topic work and it inspires us to produce some fabulous pieces of writing and creative art work too.
How your child is learning at home is very important to us. You can email the School any pictures of work you may have.
This half term we are focusing on writing a setting description and have been linking it to our Topic work about the Ancient Egyptians. Our model text is about the setting of an Egyptian desert and we have been using this to learn about all the important features that make a great setting description. So far, we have learnt about using the 5 senses in our writing, as well as descriptive similes and powerful adjectives. The ideas that we come up with in class are amazing!
As always, we have been encouraging the children to read as much as they can. The children have been keen to do their quizzes on Accelerated Reader and we have seen some fantastic results.
Over this half term we have already learnt about the place value of 3-digit numbers, now we are busy learning how to add and subtract numbers from 3-digit numbers. We have been challenging ourselves to do this by using lots of maths resources and then by doing it mentally!
We are also having lots of fun playing times tables games which are helping us to practice them, as we know that knowing these help us a lot in our maths lessons.
This half term our Topic has been about the Ancient Egyptians. So far we have explored where Egypt is and how it is different from the UK. We have also learnt about the importance of the River Nile and how it helped to keep the Ancient Egyptians alive. During one of our lessons we had lots of fun learning about mummification. We then became embalmers and mummified our own orange! We can’t wait to see the results of this after a few weeks time. We are now busy making our own canopic jars from clay which we did it one of our art lessons. This was very messy but so much fun!
I wonder where the children will continue to take this topic?
What we are learning about in other subjects
- Science: We are learning about light, shadows and sun safety.
- Art: We are learning about how drawings and pictures are made up of either simple shapes or 3D shapes, we are also learning lots about shading in our outdoor learning lessons.
- RE: In RE we are learning about the religion of Sikhism.
- Homework is given out on a Thursday and is due in on the following Tuesday.
- Please label everything!
- On Wednesday’s it is P.E. Children need to come to school wearing their Red Hall PE kit.
- Reading is a vital skill, we expect our children to read a minimum of three times a week. Please sign the reading record each time that they have read and make sure that the children bring them into school each day.
- Children must know all of their times tables by the end of year 4, so we expect the children to be accessing TTRS at least twice a week. Practicing is the key to learning!