Nursery Teacher: Miss Wharton
Teaching Assistants: Mrs Bradford & Mr Gillings
The children are at the center of all learning in our Nursery at Red Hall Primary School. We follow their interests and fascinations, listening to any questions they have and encouraging exploration and wonder. We document this learning in our floor books, wall displays and in the children’s learning journeys. We begin each half term with a topic, how these topics develop is completely up to the children. We follow their interests and return to them repeatedly, building on their ideas and provoking deeper thinking. We value every child’s ideas and collaborate with them in the learning process.
Children love to ask questions, it is one way they make sense of the world. Children are able to pose questions to us and investigate the answers; we want to allow them to feel in charge of their own learning. We aim to use inquiry-based approaches to learning to promote investigation, in turn creating an interesting, engaging and meaningful learning for the children.
Our learning environment has strong Reggio Emilia and Montessori influences. We use natural, recycled materials, which support open-ended play and encourage children to use their imagination. Every aspect of the environment is carefully thought out to encourage independence and to inspire the children.
We follow a three-year plan in Nursery and Reception so your child will cover some topics in Nursery then different topics in Reception. We learn about dragons, dinosaurs, farms, the seaside, shadows, seasons, being healthy, space, mini-beasts, our senses, the wider world, plants, pets, food as well as choosing topics that the children are interested in.
Our topic is, 'What is Space??' So far we have found out about the planets including learning that Pluto is no longer classed as a planet.
I wonder what else we will discover about this topic?
Last week we learned about Harvest and made bread for the upcoming Harvest Festival.
- Come dressed as an Elf to raise money, the £1 donation will go to the Alzheimer’s Society - Friday 7th December 2018.
- Topic Express - Tuesday 11th December 2018 either 10am-11am or 2pm-3pm. We are going to close out Space Topic with reading stories underneath a star projector. This is also a chance for you to look at your child's Learning Journey.
- Christmas Jumper Day - Friday 14th December 2018.
- Whole School Celebration - Tuesday 18th December 2018 at 2pm. This is a chance to come into School to see what your child has been learning.
- Nativity Performance either 9:15am or 1:30pm. Tickets will cost £1 each and will be limited to 2 people per family initially.
- Christmas Party 9am-10am Friday 21st December remember your party clothes!
- Polar Express Friday 21st December at 11am. Children can bring a toy to snuggle up to and watch the film.
Nursery is CLOSED on 21.12.18 for the afternoon session. All children are invited in for the morning session.
The letter of important dates can be downloaded here - Important Dates Autumn 2
- The role of parents and carers is very important to us. We have started a 'Parent and Carers Committee' and will soon be holding our first meeting. We want to provide a bigger voice to the parents and hope this will allow them to become more involved in the learning which takes place in nursery.
- We nearly finished 'Points make prizes'. This scheme aims to provide fun projects for children to do with parents and carers at home. The more projects completed means more points, more points means more prizes. Please get involved!
- We have provided all children with a book bag and school reading book. We are hoping to promote reading for pleasure and quality time between children and adults at home. Please read 3 times a week with your child.