Nursery Teacher: Miss Wharton
Teaching Assistants: Mrs Bradford & Mr Gillings
The children are at the center of all learning in our Nursery at Red Hall Primary School. We follow their interests and fascinations, listening to any questions they have and encouraging exploration and wonder. We document this learning in our floor books, wall displays and in the children’s learning journeys. We begin each half term with a topic, how these topics develop is completely up to the children. We follow their interests and return to them repeatedly, building on their ideas and provoking deeper thinking. We value every child’s ideas and collaborate with them in the learning process.
Children love to ask questions, it is one way they make sense of the world. Children are able to pose questions to us and investigate the answers; we want to allow them to feel in charge of their own learning. We aim to use inquiry-based approaches to learning to promote investigation, in turn creating an interesting, engaging and meaningful learning for the children.
Our learning environment has strong Reggio Emilia and Montessori influences. We use natural, recycled materials, which support open-ended play and encourage children to use their imagination. Every aspect of the environment is carefully thought out to encourage independence and to inspire the children.
- Fire Brigade coming to School – 27th February 2019: We have arranged for the Fire Brigade to come into School to start our new topic, ‘People who help us’.
- Ambulance coming to School – 5th March 2019: A paramedic is coming into School to develop the children’s interests in our new topic, ‘People who help us’.
- World Book Day – 7th March 2019: Children can come into School dressed as their favourite BOOK character.
- FIVE Hullabaloo Theatre Trip – 29th March 2019: Nursery children are going to the theatre.
We follow a three-year plan in Nursery and Reception so your child will cover some topics in Nursery then different topics in Reception. We learn about dragons, dinosaurs, farms, the seaside, shadows, seasons, being healthy, space, mini-beasts, our senses, the wider world, plants, pets, food as well as choosing topics that the children are interested in.
We have started our new topic last week after something mysterious happened outside. We heard a loud bang outside and went to explore what it was. We found lots of debris and metal, we decided it must have been something from space.
Our topic is, ‘People Who Help Us’. I wonder what else we will discover about this topic?
Last week we learned about Harvest and made bread for the upcoming Harvest Festival.
- The role of parents and carers is very important to us. We have started a ‘Parent and Carers Committee’ and will soon be holding our first meeting. We want to provide a bigger voice to the parents and hope this will allow them to become more involved in the learning which takes place in nursery.
- We nearly finished ‘Points make prizes’. This scheme aims to provide fun projects for children to do with parents and carers at home. The more projects completed means more points, more points means more prizes. Please get involved!
- We have provided all children with a book bag and school reading book. We are hoping to promote reading for pleasure and quality time between children and adults at home. Please read 3 times a week with your child.